Disclaimer: This post is going to be mainly pictures.
It turns out that I was the only student to sign up for today's tour. However, Yamasa decided to still give it because we were visiting one place that my guides had never been before. I biked to the school at 8:15a.m. this morning and meet Declan and Collin, who were my guides for the day. Declan looks like he is about 55 or 60 years old and has lived in Japan for the last 14 years. He is one of the main people in charge at Yamasa. He is also rather blunt or, as Collin said, "undiplomatic." Collin will turn 35 years old next week and has lived in Japan for six years. He was actually a student at Yamasa for the first two of them. He had come to Japan planning on staying for three months, but ended up liking it so much that he stayed. Now he's married to a woman that teaches English at Yamasa and is probably never going to leave. He was quite personable and clearly adores Japanese history.
Our first stop was Matsudaira-go, an area up in the hills. We looked around a Buddhist temple and a Shinto shrine. Even though it was lightly raining the entire time, it was still absolutely beautiful.
Turns out that Collin is actually a storehouse of knowledge about Japanese history. Ultimately, he taught me Japanese history starting with their creation myths and ending with the nineteenth century. It was hard for me to keep a lot of it straight because the names are quite complicated and all seem to sound alike, but I'll definitely remember the gist of most of the stories. It was all fascinating, and when you have a guide who is passionate about what he's explaining (and mine definitely was!) it makes it that much more interesting.
The next stop on our adventure was a place where a B-29 plane had crashed during an air raid in WWII. There wasn't anything left from the crash, but there's a small memorial sign, and it was a good chance for Collin to pull out some modern day history. I know quite a bit about the ways that Boeing aircrafts during WWII worked now, if anyone would care to ask me. Walking back to the van we ran into a Japanese man walking a black lab puppy. It was almost as cute as an Asian child.
Then we headed back to Okazaki and Declan left us to catch a train to Nagoya. Collin took me to his favorite restaurant in Okazaki. It's actually an Indian food place, and it was unbelievably good. Better than any Indian food that I've had in America, even Swagot. During lunch we talked a lot about his experiences in Japan, why he never wants to live anywhere else, and how he meet/married his wife. They were married two years ago and had started dating after he had only been in Japan for a year. They only speak Japanese to each other. It's crazy to think that in such a short time he was able to learn a second language well enough to be married to someone who only spoke it. During lunch he taught me a lot about modern Japanese culture and politics as well. He explained some of the reasons that change comes about so slowly in Japan and difficulties living in Japan as a foreigner. It was fascinating to get to hear his perspective on things.
After lunch we went to Okazaki Castle. It was absolutely beautiful. Not only the castle itself, but the statues and shrines, and fountains that surround it were clearly very carefully crafted. And it's surround by trees and steams, even though it's in the heart of a city.
Clearly I was just kidding when I said this post was going to be mainly photos and not a lot of description. It seems that I'm incredibly wordy even when I'm exhausted.
Paige, Love Reading about your trip. I have never wanted to visit Japan and now I am rethinking that. I may have to put it on my list of places to go. Love you! Aunt Susan
ReplyDeletePaige,
ReplyDeleteI love that you are wordy! You have become such an excellent writer!
Kisses,
Mom
Paige,
ReplyDeleteThank you for taking the time to post this and allow us to follow along on your journey. So very happy for you as you experience something you have dreamed about.
"There is only one way to learn," the alchemist answered. "It's through action. Everything you need to know you will learn through your journey."
Take care,
AK
Paige,
ReplyDeleteI know this may be an odd question, but here goes. I'd care to ask you, do you have any idea how Boeing aircraft worked during WWII?
With Love,
Uncle Tim
Hey Paige. Nancy just sent me the link to your blog. Hope it's ok if I join you in Japan! :) Looks so beautiful where you are. And I'm so proud of you for traveling so far from home brave girl. Have a blast, soak it all in.
ReplyDelete